Transparent and up-front charging
All our charges are based on the cost of the time that we spend undertaking the professional services you engage us to do on behalf of you and your family. See are band of hourly rates, set out below, that reflect the different levels of experience and expertise involved.
Our practice is to provide you with an estimate of our likely charges and any other expenses, such as registration fees, which are anticipated, up-front, before we start.
The scales of our fees reflect the complexities involved and thus the time this is likely to take. We are happy to provide estimates as well as to agree fixed rate fees.
In each of the scenarios set out below we will charge less when we can.
Applying For The Grant of Probate (Only)
|In a relatively straight forward estate that incurs no liability for Inheritance Tax we are likely to charge||£900||£180||£1,080|
|In a more complicated or valuable estate, we our hourly charges are likely to result in fees from||£1,500||£300||£1,800|
Applying For Probate And Distributing the Estate
|In a relatively straight forward estate that incurs no liability for Inheritance Tax we are likely to charge fees starting from||£2,500||£500||£3,000|
|In a more complicated or valuable estate, we our hourly charges are likely to result in a final bill starting from||£4,500||£900||£5,400|
In addition to our professional fees we are also likely to incur the following expenses:
- Probate Registry fee £155
- In a relatively straight forward estate that incurs no liability for Inheritance Tax we are likely to charge
- We will provide you with an early estimate of amount of IHT where this likely to be due
What We Do For Our Fees
As part of our probate service, for a non-taxable, simple estate, we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate lawyer to work on your matter
- Obtain the grant of probate on your behalf
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries based on the information provided to us
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require based on the information provided to us
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC Inheritance Tax forms
Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all known assets in the estate
- On average, simple estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6-12 months.
- Typically, obtaining the grant of Probate takes 4-6 weeks.
- Collecting assets then follows which can take 4-6 weeks but if there are for example properties to be sold, then the timescale for the conveyancing process to complete will also be applied.
- Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes a further 4-6 weeks.
Our Hourly Charge Rates
In keeping with our principle of charging as little as possible and only as much as needed, we endeavour to assign the appropriate level of expertise and experience to each task we undertake.
Value for money
As our wills and probate team are based in Somerset, our hourly charge rates are significantly less than those that would need to be charged by a firm operating from expensive city premises.
The hourly charge rates of our Wills and Estates Administration Team
|Legal Secretary/Assistant – A member of our legal staff, who works under the direct supervision of a more experienced member of staff and who is primarily responsible for administrative work||£150||£30||£180|
|Senior Paralegal/Case manager – A member of staff with at least two years or more experience of Wills and Estates Administration work.||£175||£35||£210|
|CILEX accredited Legal Executive usually with five or more years relevant experience||£200||£40||£240|
|A Senior Solicitor or partner Usually with with ten or more years relevant experience||£250||£50||£300|